Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Apple Pie With Homemade Canned Apples



\
I canned some wonderful apples last year.  My old home place has some pretty delicious Granny Smith Apples..Randy planted those trees and they are just loaded every year.
 click HERE for canning apples
I know you can make apple pie filling in the jar but I didn't have all of the ingredients at the time...so use what you have and carry on...sometimes the best things are spur of the moment thrown together recipes.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees

Ingredients
I used 2 pint jars of canned apples
drained the liquid into a small pot
1 - 2 tablespoons of flour to thicken use according to how much liquid you have and how thick you want your syrup to be.
added 1/4 cup sugar (I used the light syrup when canning so for pie needed just a touch more sugar) You taste yours to see how much if any you will need.
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
dash of salt
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg (optional)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
I used Pillsbury Pie Crusts

cook syrup to thicken
I poured mine onto the apples in the crust...
 I put a few little pieces of butter on top of filling
then placed top crust on.


Bake 30 to 45 minutes because the apples are already tender from canning.  After 15 to 20 minutes cover the edge of crust with aluminum foil or a pie shield.

Cool a couple of hours or so for easier cutting and serving, now if you want ice cream on top and want it to melt; cut it sooner...

 
Have a nice week!

Dolly

11 comments:

  1. Yummmm, yummmmm!! Good job Dolly!
    Hugs,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much for the recipe! I had the same problem with apple canned in light syrup. And I wanted to make an Apple pie with them. !

      Delete
  2. Looks delicious, Dolly. And how smart of you to can the apples so that you have them all year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It surprised me really because it did taste good...not very pretty...even with store brought crust...I was in a hurry...I love to can. Good to hear from you and thanks Heather!

      Delete
  3. I could go for a slice, or two, of this ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoAnn I sure wish you were closer we'd sit down and have a piece for sure...

      Delete
  4. Beautiful canned apples! I am excited about trying this next year! We've canned apple pie filling, apple sauce, and cider, but this would be great to use for other recipes! I'm a new follower! Love your cite, I will be parusing it for more recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love having canned apple pie filling for a quick apple pie. I have never add butter on top of the apples. Will have to give it a try. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are cooking apple pie and I truly wish I was eating apple pie. Delicious looking:) b

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much! I just canned a bunch of apples and then realized I had no clue what to do with them :-)

    ReplyDelete